It might surprise people to discover that pain management with hypnosis is probably the most empirically well supported application of hypnosis there is.
- Michael D.Yapko Phd
Is pain management the problem?
Pain is part of human evolutionary history. It has a purpose and in psychological terms it’s called 'signal value'. What this means is that the signal has a 'value' in that it’s trying to get you to do something, eg to pull your hand away from the hot stove that is burning you. If, however, you are here reading this then you probably have chronic pain (ie long term). This kind of pain can take on a life of its own and result in a mental state called 'learned helplessness' (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Learned_helplessness). There is good evidence that chronic pain can be imprinted upon the brain amplifying its enduring qualities and complicating its resolution.
What can be done?
If you are not a psychologist, just reading the above could make you think either what does all that mean, or what has that got to do with me? You need someone like me to slowly take you through how the above applies to you in your real day-to-day life. This understanding of your inner-self will lead to new ideas and ways of dealing with your pain in a way that you have never considered before.
What I can do to help?
I am a psychologist who has spent 15 years studying hundreds of scientific papers and books on how the mind works. I have also trained as a hypnotherapist in order to help deliver solutions to treat psychological issues.
My method of treatment consists of the following steps:
- I will carry out a detailed 'history take' in which I will ask you a series of pertinent questions to try and discover who you are and exactly what your pain means to you. Together we will explore how you personally see the world, your beliefs and how your mind operates. What your inner state is around 'pain'.
- I will then explain to you exactly what your mind is doing in relation to your particular problem and give you a new grasp on the problem that you face.
- Once this is done, I will use my knowledge of psychology to craft a 'hypnotic script' that, glides into your mind and is accepted by you as a new mental reality, in the same way as a pair of handmade shoes glide onto the feet they are made for.
- I will then use this 'hypnotic script' to guide you through hypnosis and other mental exercises that will allow you to deal with this complex problem.
- I will provide you with an audio download for you to use alongside our treatment sessions so that you can experience your personal script again and again, reinforcing the lesson.
Does this treatment have a cost?
Yes, but compared to what? The cost of doing nothing?
Your pain already has a 'cost' or you would not be here reading this. Any time and money you spend on addressing your pain and your ability to cope in previously uncomfortable situations will reward you for the rest of your life, never wearing out, never needing replacing.
If you want to hear more, please watch this video explanation of hypnotherapy. If after watching the video you feel happy, then send me an email or phone me to book an appointment, an initial assessment can then be made by both of us to see if we can work together.